Wednesday, July 12, 2006

The western and Asian view..



Talking about different things with different people once again I am aware of the difference between the people I grew up with (westerners) and the people that I am often trying to understand.

In general Westerners are: independent, the value much much higher privacy and individuality, sometimes we think we are better than anyone, we want to teach, we are adventurous, we take initiative, we are direct, we have "rights", we are generous, we have strong concepts about culture, we are very selfcenter, we like to be alone, we need time to process, we don't share our food, etc.....

In general Asians are: oriented to the group, hospitable, generous, privacy is not such a big deal, if something bothers them they tend to keep quiet, they go around the bush, they think about everyone, THEY SHARE!!

Sometimes I feel like I really understand Asians but yet still I have many things to learn, it's funny how westerns often think they know better and they are higher...even though is not often said is often show by our actions........sigh....... today is a good day to look at my life and see in which areas of my western culture or worldview God wants me to change to be more effective in this part of the world, 'cause at the end.......this is their part of the world isn't? (I mean Asians) why do we think we know better????......me dunno! just being reflective and I guess convicted!

Me trying to be "Sweet" hehehe

More later...

6 Comments:

Blogger angeline said...

there are the better of different elements in both cultures. so, when you get familiar with them, pick the better ones(initiative, respect of people's space, generous, other people oriented etc..) and flex with the more difficult ones (direct, go around the bush). then you can be perfect, LIKE ME. MUAHAHAHAHA.

10:15 PM  
Blogger labellasthoughts said...

hahaha...I didn't know that you were perfect but not that I know I will just look at your example uh?
Of course both have great things it's just hard to combine them!

11:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

you look soo pretty!!

Miss you!

Me...

12:03 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Orale con la foto ..... te ves super bien fabs cuando nos visitas?
Te pareces un buen a sarita...
martha

2:44 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fabbbyyyyyyyyyyyyyy....... you are the perfect western-asian!

Bryan

10:29 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great site loved it alot, will come back and visit again.
»

9:49 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home